One Big Idea
SERIES: What Publishers Are Looking for in a Writer
SERIES: The Building Blocks of the Editor-Author Partnership
For over 35 years, MAI has been serving writers, editors, and publishers around the world. Through our conferences, training events, and online resources we have equipped and encouraged more than 10,000 people in 90 countries.
With the pandemic changing the landscape of learning this past year, we are increasing our use of digital media to provide you the tools you need to excel in your craft. One of the ways we are doing this is through a new weekly short video called One Big Idea, in which we bring you one big idea, as well as reflection questions to consider throughout the week.
Engaging Hearts Through Our Writing: Part 1 (An Introduction) - Week One
Today, author Joan Campbell begins a news series on “How to Write to Engage Our Readers’ Hearts.” In this first video, Joan shares why it is important to engage, and especially through their hearts.
As Christians, we can only do this as partners with the Holy Spirit, so our own relationship with God, she asserts, is the most important element of engaging hearts.
After you have watched the video, spend some time engaging with these questions:
- “As Christian writers we are partners with God in reaching hearts.” How does this statement change the way you think about your writing?
- Where have you seen or experienced the Holy Spirit using material written by a Christian author to unlock or change a person’s heart?
- How do you ensure that your relationship with God is a priority in your life?
- How do you allow God to guide and inspire your writing?
- Reflect on John 15:5. How does this verse speak into your writing ministry?
Join us next week for Part 2.